National Architectural Monument,
Aspazijas Boulevard 3
The first public building, which was built in the park area, was the 1st city theatre (German theatre) (presently the opera and ballet theatre). It was designed (1822-1885) by professor L.Bonstedt from Petersburg Art Academy and was built from 1860 to 1863 under the supervision of architects F. Hess and H. Šēls. The semi-round hall with 1240 seats and 150 standing places, with the three balconies, has good acoustics and appropriate proportions.
Among the many Eclectic buildings constructed at that time, the compact, balanced theatre building with its six columned ionic portico is as if a delayed echo from the Classicism period of the beginning of the 19th century.