The University of Latvia
National Architectural Monument,
Raiņa Boulevard 19
The Riga Polytechnic (later the Polytechnic Institute and now the University of Latvia) building played an important role in the city landscape of Riga. The buildings with its calm, monumental look and with certain Roman and Byzantine architecture style elements was designed by the first Dean of Architecture professor Gustav Hilbig (1822-1883). The first part of the building was built during 1866-1869.