St. George’s Cathedral (White Stone Castle)
National Architectural Monument, 1207-1209,
Skārņu Street 10/16
It was built from white dolomite around 1207 to become castle for the Master of the Knights of Sword Order, which was destroyed by the citizens of Riga in 1297 while struggling against the Order.
One area of the castle remained unscathed where St. George’s Cathedral was located (later the Convent Yard of the Holy Ghost), which during the Reformation was used as a storage area. Without any significant changes the structure was used as a storage area until the end of XXth century when in 1989 the Museum of Applied Arts was established there. Thus, this is the place where the oldest fragment of the building constructed in Riga can be seen.