Convent Yard of the Holy Ghost
National Architectural Monument,
Kalēju Street 9/11
The Convent Yard is located in Old Riga between Kalēju and Skārņu Streets, covering an area of 260 m2. Originally there was the Castle of Knights of Sword Order (the so called White Stone Castle), which was destroyed in 1297. The castle was rebuilt on the embankment of the Daugava in the former site of the Holy Ghost Hospital (which therefore was rebuilt instead the ruins of the White Stone Castle). After some time this place was renamed as the Convent Yard of the Holy Ghost.
The Convent is the foundation of 1220 by Bishop Albert for supporting the disabled and feeble persons of all nationalities and layers. In the 15th century this was Kampenhauzen’s House for the poor or “Non-German Asylum” in which widows from the poorest and lowest social class lived. The Convent Yard included also “Asylum of the Grey Sisters”, a hospital and nursery home for the ill. The hospital was built in 1488 and rebuilt in 1860. The name “Asylum of the Grey Sisters” originated from grey cloaks the nuns there were wearing. In the end of the 17th century a road was made in the Convent Yard between Kalēju and Skārņu streets.